For the winners of the 2016 Absa Top 5 South African Extra Virgin Olive Oils, we are sharing recipes perfectly paired with each. Greenleaf EVOO is a delicate style EVOO which is a fragrant oil pressed from green fruit, this oil carries notes of tomato leaf and green banana with well-balanced hints of bitter and pepperiness. Here’s their Lemon & Olive Oil Cakes recipe with lemon and cardamom syrup, crème fraiche and pistachio. YUM
Makes 12 mini cakes.
- juice and zest of 3 lemons
- 300 ml water
- 250 ml castor sugar
- 10 cardamom pods, squashed to expose seeds
- ½ c (125 ml) Greenleaf Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ c (60 ml) milk
- ¼ c (60 ml) water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c (250 ml) castor sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla paste
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ c (375 ml) cake flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 250 ml crème fraiche
- 250 ml crème fraiche100 g pistachios, removed from shells
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (non-fan assisted).
- Add all the syrup ingredients to a small pot and heat gently until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until slightly reduced. It is not a thick syrup. Remove cardamom pods.
- Lightly grease 12 mini loaf tins or use a muffin tray.
- In a small pot, heat the olive oil, milk and water together until warm (not boiling).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and zest.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture and add the warm olive oil mixture. Use a spatula to fold ingredients together until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Pour batter halfway into the mini loaf tins or muffin tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prick holes immediately into the cakes using a fork and pour the hot syrup over each cake. Allow syrup to soak into the cakes for +- 20 minutes in the tins. Remove from tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Blanch the pistachio nuts, roast in the oven for 5 minutes to dry out and bring out the flavour. Roughly chop.
- To serve: Top the syrup soaked cakes with crème fraiche and pistachios. Garnish with more lemon zest.