For the winners of the 2016 Absa Top 5 South African Extra Virgin Olive Oils, we are sharing recipes perfectly paired with each. Willow Creek Directors’ Reserve presents verdant flavours of green olives, grass, artichokes, tomato vines, olive leaves and walnuts.
With the health benefits of EVOO in mind, we’ve paired this award winning EVOO with an equally health-conscious appetiser; ostrich carpaccio! It’s simple, but so delicious!
- Ostrich Fillets
- Willow Creek Directors’ Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Thyme, Oregano & Rosemary
- Coarsely ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Rocket Leaves
- Parmesan or Pecorino Shavings
- Willow Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Balsamic Vinegar
- Chop the garlic, thyme, oregano and rosemary very finely and add the salt and black pepper.
- Baste the ostrich fillets with Willow Creek extra virgin olive oil and roll it in the herb mixture to cover.
- Sear the steaks in a very hot ridged pan or on a gas grill, but be sure that it stays raw inside. Let it rest a little before slicing it very thinly.
- Arrange the fresh rocket leaves and watercress on a large platter followed by the seared slices of ostrich and top with parmesan or pecorino shavings.
- Finish with a little coarsely ground salt and black pepper, and Willow Creek’s Directors’ Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Willow Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Balsamic Vinegar.