To make your olive oil the best way possible please take note of the following points when storing EVOO:
- Oxygen is very soluble in olive oil, so protect the oil from air contact wherever possible
- Be careful when transferring oil by pump or by hand, that no air is incorporated into the oil
- Ensure that all storage tanks are equipped with a floating lid, or that they can be filled with an inert gas – eg. nitrogen, but never carbon dioxide (CO2)
- Nitrogen is not much heavier than air, as many believe, so the protective layer of gas above your oil has to be managed well.
- The temperature of the storage facility should be kept between 15 – 18o C (ideally) or as cool as possible