South African extra virgin olive oils (EVOO) made a clean sweep of all nine the coveted medals in the 5th edition of the Sol d’Oro Southern hemisphere olive oil competition. Sixty-two Southern hemisphere EVOOs entered the competition and were blind tasted by an international panel of olive oil experts from Italy, Spain, Chile, Peru, Greece, and South Africa.
During the first round of tasting the oils are allocated to the three sub-categories of fruity/delicate, or fruity/medium, or fruity/intense. The next tasting rounds go on to select the top 10 in each category and are then whittled down to the top five in each category. In the final round the top three oils for each category are awarded with the Sol d’Oro (gold), the Sol d’agento (silver) and the Sol di bronzo (bronze) medals. A legal representative, who changes the coding of the oils for each tasting, monitors the entire process. The newly instated prize for the overall top-performing producer, the ‘Giulio Bertrand Special Prize’, was awarded to De Rustica Estate.
Herewith the winners in each category:
- SOL D’ORO – RIO LARGO OLIVE ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: RIO LARGO GOLD
- SOL D’ARGENTO – DIEPSAK FARM – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: GREEN AND GOLD PREMIUM
- SOL DI BRONZO – TOKARA – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: TOKARA PREMIUM
- SOL D’ORO – SERRADO OLIVE ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: SERRADO
- SOL D’ARGENTO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: ESTATE COLLECTION FRANTOIO
- SOL DI BRONZO – OAKHURST OLIVES FARMING LMT.– SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: OAKHURST MEDIUM
- SOL D’ORO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: ESTATE COLLECTION CORATINA
- SOL D’ARGENTO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: ESTATE COLLECTION FAVOLOSA
- SOL DI BRONZO – WILDEKRANS TRUST – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil: KEERWEER
The Sol d’Oro competition was initially set up to promote and raise global awareness for extra virgin olive oils. It has since gone on to become a landmark event for producers of high quality extra virgin olive oils, as well as a selection platform for international buyers. Both the Southern hemisphere competition and its Northern hemisphere counterpart are organised by Veronafiere-Sol & Agrifood.