Broccoli with extra virgin olive oil & lemon
We need to boost our immune systems now more than ever. One of the great things about spending so much time at home is that we can really get our cooking skills down pat. This recipe is super simple, but the ingredients pack a nutritional punch. Our local extra virgin olive oils are world-class and in this ingredient combination a medium or intense oil will add extra depth.
Let’s take a look at what’s in store for our bodies when we indulge in this dish.
Broccoli: Vitamins A, C, K and B9; anti-oxidants; fiber, bioactive compounds that have various health benefits
Extra virgin olive oil: Healthy monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, it has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
Lemon: Vitamin C
Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients: broccoli, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon to squeeze, salt and pepper.
1. Steam the broccoli in a steamer or in a colander placed over a pot of boiling water. More of the nutrients will remain if it is not placed directly in the water. Watch it closely, as you want to retain some of the fresh crunch.
2. Remove from steamer or colander and place in flat dish. At this point you can separate the florets from the main stem. It allows for more of the surface of the broccoli to be covered with the lemon juice and olive oil and it makes it easier to dish up.
3. Squeeze fresh lemon over all the florets – about half a lemon on a head of broccoli.
4. Pour the olive oil over the florets – experiment with how much olive oil you like with this dish – we like a healthy dose!
5. Give the florets a quick toss to make sure they all have their share of lemon juice and olive oil.
6. Grind fresh black pepper over the florets.
7. You can now either sprinkle a bit of salt over the florets, or leave it for each person to do for themselves.
And viola, you’ve just made a super simple dish that’s mega flavourful and very healthy. It goes with just about anything and if you’re a big fan of broccoli, you’ll end up eating it on its own.
Let us know how yours turned out and also if you came up with your own spin on the basic recipe.
Stay healthy and safe.
The SA Olive team