Olive & mushroom tortellini, tomato juice emulsion, pickled olive, spinach puree, ginger hair, basil oil – serves 4
100ml Olive Oil
200g Black Olives
12 Whole Tomatoes
2 Cloves Garlic
Half an onion
2 heads ginger
1 egg yolk
1 Tbps Olive Oil
Olive Quick Pickle:
300ml White Wine Vinegar
2 cups basil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Start making the pasta. Weigh off all ingredients required. Mix all in a bowl until combined, once it comes together, knead on the work surface. Knead until everything is worked in. Wrap the dough and let it rest.
- Dice up your onion and garlic. Follow by dicing up mushroom and olives. Fry off onion & garlic with thyme until translucent then add the mushroom and sweat off, add the olives. Allow to cook until it forms a dryish paste. Set aside and allow to cool
- Blanch 12 tomatoes, remove skin and cut into quarters. Remove juice and pulp. Keep flesh for another day. Blend juice and pulp then pass it. Bring it to heat reduce till half. Emulsify with cream, oil and butter.
- Spinach puree Blanch, rinse/squeeze and dry. Blend spinach until smooth
- Mandolin or finely slice ginger, Jullienne, deep fry
- Pickling liquid. Bring white wine vinegar, water and sugar to the boil, was sugar is fully incorporated, it is done. Remove from heat and pour over remaining olives, or put olives in liquid. Allow to hot pickle for 5-10min. Slice the olives neatly.
- Once everything complete, roll out pasta dough, fill with ltsp of olive and mushroom filling per a piece. Have a pot of boiling water and salt. Cook each piece until they float, 4-9min.
- Basil oil, Blanch basil for 1 minute, remove and put into ice bath. Squeeze out water. Blend in thermo mix with oil and salt. Strain through a cheese cloth or oil filter.